Your Guide to Western Australia
contact us and we can send you a free hard copy.
accommodation: what's on offer?
The vast and varied environment of the Western Australian landscape means that visitors are spoilt for choice when looking for accommodation, with options for every location and budget. This is a great place to start planning your WA adventure. Make this holiday a memorable one – it's all about the people you meet, the sights you see, and and the places you lay your head. Check out the destinations section for the accommodation that's available in each region.
Australian Automobile Clubs and Associations (AAA) provide an indication of the standard of accommodation visitors can expect in three major categories: facilities and services, cleanliness and quality/condition. This rating system is a guide only. Establishments not displaying a star rating should not be disregarded as they might have not yet been rated
|Outstanding establishments characterised by luxury appointments offering an exceptional standard of facilities, furnishings and guest services|
|Very well-appointed accommodation reflecting stylish decor throughout and a high standard of facilities, furnishings and guest services|
|Well-appointed and comfortable accommodation with a good range of facilities and furnishings|
|A half star is awarded to properties that provide a more extensive range of facilities|
types of accommodation available
This is a guide to help you choose the style of accommodation you're looking for. All of the accommodation is categorised on this site according to the following:
- High quality accommodation, service and facilities as well as an extensive range of recreational activities including swimming pools, restaurants, tennis courts and golf courses. Depending on the location and nature of the resort, accommodation may vary from rooms and suites in a multi-storey building to free-standing single level apartments.
- Many of Perth's City hotels offer a high-quality standard of accommodation, comparable with those found in cities around the world. Several international hotel groups operate in Western Australia, are high rise buildings and have 24-hour reception and an extensive range of guest facilites. These may include conference and business facilities, restaurants, swimming pool and sauna, gymnasium, room service, airconditioning and tour booking desks. Expect private amenities and luxurious furnishings.
- Throughout country WA accommodation is available in establishments that vary from luxurious country retreats with extensive guest facilities such as restaurants, golf courses and swimming pools, to secluded self-contained cottages and cabins in remote locations. Boutique hotels, which are characterised by their individuality and stylish design, are usually considerably smaller than mainstream hotel and provide intimate, luxurious and sometimes quirky hotel environments.
- Accommodation in this caregory is defined by the commitment of the business proprietors to practice ecological sustainability and natural area management. Eco-friendly holidays bring you closer to nature and local culture, promising a unique insight into the rural aspect of Western Australian life. Look for properties with the Eco Certified logo, which guarantees an authentic, environmentally responsible and professional ecotourism experience.
- Throughout WA there is a wide choice of modern, comfortable motels that offer car parking close to each unit. Rooms generally have private amenities, television, telephone and tea/coffee making facilities. Many have guest facilities like swimming pools and restaurants.
- This accommodation varies in style, from private homes to country retreats or self-contained apartments and cottages. Warm hospitality is usually on offer, along with personal service and the breakfast of course! This can vary from a sumptuous cooked affair to a hamper of local produce. Evening meals may also be available .
- Accommodation is usually apartment-style, though may be a town house or cottage. You can expect a fully-equipped kitchen, bathroom facilities and often several bedrooms. Linen is usually provided, apartments may be serviced daily or weekly.
- Pubs in WA are also known as hotels, with many offering various forms of accommodation, especially in country towns. Often pubs were built during boom times of the past and are grand buildings located centrally in the town. Expect reasonably priced accommodation with a lively, social atmosphere, usually with shared facilities and shared or private rooms.
- A wide range of budget accommodation is available throughout WA – from country pubs to hostels and caravan and camping grounds in national parks. Expect small private units or shared dormitories, shared bathrooms, kitched and common living areas. Facilities are usually basic but clean!
- Many working farms and stations provide specialised accommodation offering a rural experience. The range extends from in-house accommodation with shared facilities and meals included, to basic dormitory-style rooms on a remote cattle station, to self-contained cottages on properties that offer farm experiences for tourists. This can include animal feeding and activities like horse riding.
- If you're travelling the open road or after a more relaxed style of accommodation, you're likely to find yourself at a caravan park somewhere in WA. Generally catered for are caravans, campervans, annexes and tents, with some offering self-contained cabins. Many have extra facilities like swimming pools, recreation areas and restaurants onsite.
See our dedicated Caravan + Tourist Parks page with a comprehensive list of caravan and tourist parks around the state.
- A unique experience, hiring a house boat gives you the ability to completely explore the local scenery at you leisure, whilst remaining close by to other outdoor activities. Expect privacy and the convenience of being able to move your living quarters for a change of view or neighbour.